Friday, May 7, 2010

Day 1: Powell, Wyoming

So there I was, sitting in David Blair's class hearing him tell us how he used to ride cross country, taking groups of people on the adventure of their lives. I thought, "Wow...that is intense! I'd do it!" That's where I decided to go for it. I began planning my trip, researching what it would take, how much I'd have to spend, and how long it might take. I met with Dave to ask him about his travels, what it was like and for advice in my preparations. I remember him saying, "You sure make me feel good" as I told him he was the one who inspired the idea. I thought, "This is someone who pushes themselves to achieve big things and I want that." He gave me my first two bike shirts that I used on my trip and helped me make other preparations. Because I was new to road bikes, I asked him for some pointers on the mechanics of the bike, like how to change a tire. Little did I know that he would turn it into a class exercise and have me stumble through it in front of everyone! It was kind of embarrassing as I attempted to guess how the tool I was to use would function in changing the tire. I learned though and am thankful that he did it that way. It was not something quickly forgotten. So, I figured that I would take this trip as a graduation present for myself and I was excited for what would come and anxious for the unknown. I purchased a road bike and found a bike trailer I could tow behind me that would carry my clothes, tent, sleeping bag, energy packets, camera, phone, etc. I thought since I hadn't done much long distance road biking, I should probably train some. I went to the gym as often as possible and and road the stationary bike there and I went on one ride out towards Roundup, Montana. I went nearly 30 miles and was about to die (it was really windy), so I decided to turn around. I did a total of 60 miles for this prep ride and was close to passing out... Besides not having the physical preparedness, I had everything else ready and on May 7, 2007 I woke up early got everything set and my good friend and roommate Elijah Schiedler woke up early too, to say goodbye and to see me off. I remember it clearly and wondered if I was actually going to make it...


My first day was extremely hard. I rode 101.5 miles (my first century ride) to Powell, Wyoming and I was very sore. I thought the farthest I would ride would be 90 miles and I never thought that my body would hurt as much as it did. I had to stop so many different times and I used four or five of my energy packs. I didn't even think to put on sunscreen (DUH!) and so I had a sweet farmer's tan or burn I should say, and my legs were burnt as well. I said to myself, "No more of these...[long rides]," but what I didn't know was what my next day would look like. I stayed with two of the most caring and loving people I have ever known! They were so great! They fed me a steak dinner with a ton of other food and I didn't want to leave. They were in a new house and I had seen it while it was being built and had promised I would come see it someday when it was done. So, I got to see their new beautiful home and I slept in a very comfortable bed. I slept like a rock!!! My friend Andrew came over and we talked for a while. It was really good to just hang out with him again.

















Coming tomorrow....

A momentary decision to push myself to achieve a great height. A ride that would take 13+ hours to complete and two days to recover from. Great stories coming up so stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment