Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 8: Flaming Gorge, Utah

When I left Rock Springs I had to climb up a pretty big hill at first, but once I got to the top my ride sped up. It was very pretty and when I was about 25 miles outside of Rock Springs I saw this very large canyon on the side of the road. I stopped and tried to take it all in. It was early in the morning still, which I found to be my FAVORITE time to ride! I continued on down the road not knowing what to expect or what I was about to experience. I was riding on this really rough road, cracks every 10 feet, and I was starting to get tired of my whole body going bump, bump, bump-bump, bump bump bump, bump, bump-bump... you get the idea. I saw this sign on the side of the road as I had many times before, "Open Range." I road past the sign and about a mile or two after, I saw a horse standing in this field to my right. I thought, "This horse is wild... It's on an open range!" I was excited to finally see my wild horse! He soon noticed me as his head popped up quickly and he watched me for a moment. All of a sudden he began to run along with me!!!! I couldn't believe it! My hope of someday seeing a group of wild horses running through a deep green pasture all in unison, making the ground beneath them rumble as they thunder across it was actually happening, although in a slightly different way—a much better and unexpected way. As he ran with me he kept his eye focused on me. My eyes and his eyes were connected for however brief a time and not only that but we were connected in one purpose--to be wild. His perception of that in me spurred something in him to run with me. BE WILD is what nature cries out and all it took was a little reminder for that horse to go. God started speaking so much all at once that I had trouble taking it all in. The horse probably ran along with me for about a mile, but that moment rode with me the rest of the day. I was sad to see the horse stop running, but it didn't change my purpose--I pressed on. The ride continued to get more beautiful and I came across another canyon. I took four pictures of it and decided to piece it together later. Here is my attempt!


Passing this beautiful view, I came around a cliff to see a large storm crowd. I could see that it was full of rain and I hoped that it would pass before I got to it. As I continued to ride I started feeling the wind that was ahead of the storm and realized that it was headed right for me.


I decided to keep riding until I was closer to it and then I would put on my rain gear. I climbed to the top of this hill and stopped because it was really windy and the rain was close. I got my gear on and took a video before I rode into it.



I was excited because I was headed downhill, but I was disappointed because I was riding into the storm. I blasted through it, keeping an average speed of about 23 mph. The rain felt like bullets and the wind was very cold. I got to the bottom and I was still in the storm. My arms were frozen, my face was frozen, and I was ready to be done riding for the day. I looked up while I was still in the storm and beyond it were these beautiful, snow-capped mountains that seemed like Heaven.

Seeing what was to come after the storm made me ride all the more. I had a renewed motivation to push through this hard situation. It wasn't easy, it wasn't comfortable, but I had to go through it to get to the other side. I made it through and I was excited because not only were there beautiful mountains before me, but the Utah border came out of no where.



I made it to the Flaming Gorge and I was really excited because it was amazing to look at and it meant that I was just about done for the day. It also meant that there was going to be someplace to eat! I had been to the Gorge when I was younger, but I could hardly remember it. I got to the first lake and I wasn't sure where I would go to camp.


I headed up the road in the direction of where I had seen a number of motorhomes going. I saw a sign that said something like 9 miles to Dutch John and I figured that would be where I would camp.


When I got there all I saw was one "General Store" so I drove through the town to see if there was any other places to eat. I found nothing but a couple of dogs who seemed like they wanted to eat me. They ran after me, but I was too quick! Ha Ha! I ate a philly steak sandwich at the General Store's Deli and it was outrageously expensive. I asked one of the ladies working there if there were any close spots to camp and they listed a couple. The one I decided to go to she had said was only "a couple of miles up the road." Six miles later I found it... It was a really nice campground, but my bike was really needing a tune up and I had to climb a ways to get to the spot.



That night I called my mentor Dave and we talked and he helped me find two bike shops that I could visit the next day. I met this couple who were camped next to me and they had been living there for some time. They loved it and were very friendly! At one point the guy offered to give me a ride into town because he was going himself and said I could shower there if I was interested. It felt a little strange so I declined and retreated to my tent to journal and route my next days ride.


Coming tomorrow...

A quick fix, a shady hotel, and another century ride. A day with little to tell, but much to rest from.

No comments:

Post a Comment