Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 12: Panguitch, Utah


I left Loa and headed off for Panquich, Utah--a 90 mile ride. A few miles outside of Loa was one of the longest and straightest downhill rides I'd been on and I reached a new record speed--52 mph!


It was a great day because I rode that 90 miles in 6 1/2 hours and thankfully arrived right before another big storm. When I got to Panquich I stopped and Subway once again and ate my foot long piece of heaven then went across the street to have coffee while the storm passed through and journaled about my trip. Coffee became a luxury and I had it as often as I could. After journaling, I traveled on down the road to find the KOA and when I arrived I was greeted by three KOA staffers, who were very nice and extremely helpful. I got my camp set up and then continued to journal. I took a picture with the backpack I brought with me because it was special and I wanted to show a friend I was using it on my trip!


The sun was on its way to setting and as I finished journaling I pulled out a study that my mentor Dave had given me before the trip. Two ladies, Lucy and Laurel, came up to talk with me and they were both staying in one of the KOA cabins. They mentioned that they had seen my trailer on my bike and were wondering if they could look at it. So I showed it to them and told them what I thought of it and then we talked about what we were doing on our vacations. I felt the nudging to tell them that this trip was God's undistracted, completely exclusive time of redirecting/reorienting my life in whatever direction He wanted. To shut doors or open them, that I would follow His direction and be completely dependent on Him. So, they told me where they were from and that they were also riders who were riding 50 mile treks up on a mountain range not too far from the camp. They asked, "Where are you from?" I said, "Montana" and got the familiar response of "Oh wow!" Then came the question. "What made you decide to ride all this way?" The choice to take the narrow way had come (Matt. 7: 13-14; Luke 13:24). I guess I made it through the door, though I would describe it as a kind of tiptoe passing. I told the ladies that it was my graduation present to myself and then timidly told them "And with the whole idea of future. I was like, 'Ok God, what would you want with me?' " They didn't seem to interested, but Lucy kept looking at my Bible and she mentioned she went to BYU. After they left I prayed for them:

"Father, would you begin to poke their hearts if they don't have a relationship with you? Poke their hearts even if they do. Poke my heart and speak to all of us your truth so we can walk in it. I ask that you would defeat lies that they have and that you can be the victor of their hearts. I pray that they would experience your love sincerely and have an unsearchable and unquenchable hunger for you and that they would come find you..."[journal excerpt].


Coming tomorrow...

A hot day, an exploding experience, and a new friend. The most incredible experience of my entire trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment